[Zope] New Management Tabs and data types only with ZClasses or products

Chris Muldrow muldrow@mac.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:07:50 -0500

On 1/30/03 10:54 AM, "hohage" <hohage@muenster.de> wrote:

> Thanks for your advice.
> I'd like to make a more obvious description.
> One of the goals is to build a news site.
> Should I prefer to save the news articles as properties of the news folder or
> as separate documents inside the folder.
> I've read about issues concerning very large folders.
> Not by size, but by amount of objects.
> Isn't btreefolder therefore being developed.
>

> If I choose to go the way of independent objects in 2 years I' ll have >3000
> objects in the folder.
> Otherwise >6000 properties of one folder object.

I missed the beginning of this thread, but...
We're a news site, and we store our stories as individual documents. Our
"news stories" are actually Zclass instances that subclass DTML Document and
CatalogAware so we can build indicies and special pages. Each story has its
own set of properties so we can store things like bylines, summaries,
creation dates and other such junk on each story. We actually store all of
the documents in a hierarchy of dated folders simply for organization's sake
(so /2003/012003/01122003 takes you to all of the stories for Jan. 12, 2003,
for instance), but we don't use the structure for anything else but our
internal organization. All of the site's news pages are basically built
through Catalog operations or various views built into the Zclass.  We have
about 40-50,000 stories right now.