[Zope] WYSIWYG Editor for Zope.

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@myrealbox.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:10:35 -0600

While it is indeed a better idea to have users edit content and not markup,=
 if you do insist on it you will have a much easier time with Page Templa=
tes.

Page Templates were designed (among other reasons) to deal with the very pr=
oblem you describe below: many (most?) HTML editors have issues with the =
dtml tags, since, in general, they think they know better than the source=
 they are given. That's generally not a problem with attributes to standa=
rd tags (as in PTs) since most editors will realize that there can exist =
attributes they will know nothing about.

Another neat thing about PTs is that so long as the macro attibutes remain =
in place, you can present whole-seeming pages to your users, and they can=
 change the page at will without damage to the surrounding structure of y=
our finally-rendered page. With DTML, you're often working with HTML frag=
ments.

If you're worried about difficulty, don't be. Page Templates can look a lit=
tle intimidating at first (there are a bunch of seemingly-cryptic charact=
ers), but it isn't bad at all. I did DTML for a long time, but since I sw=
itched to Page Templates, I can barely think in DTML at all.

As for editing, especially with PTs, you can also, say, mount Zope as a Web=
DAV "drive" and use whatever editor you want. Some can do WebDAV themselv=
es (Macromedia?). The ExternalEditor product is also something to look at=
 (even if just for administrative use.)

I'd really like to see some sort of Zope tool that uses the Mozilla editor =
widget in-place (it might indeed exist somewhere), perhaps as part of a l=
arger management suite. But that's a whole different kettle of fish.

           --jcc