[Zope] XML-RPC Error

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:22:45 +0100

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:48:52 +0530
"Zope@Stylus" <zope@stylusinc.net> wrote:

Hi,

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the insight into the working of XML-RPC
> I am still confused as to how exactly I can be assured of  the response
> being sent back to the client from where the request came.
> Could you please help me out here.
> How exactly does the XML-RPC server know to which client the response is to
> be sent back ?

XML-RPC works over HTTP, HTTP uses TCP/IP for data transport.
TCP maintains a bidirectional transport session during the
complete connect. Its simply: (connection open),client sends to server,
waits for answer, server gets clients data, calculates
response, server sends, clients gets response, (connection close)

HTTP/1.1 (see rfc2616 on faqs.org) even allows reusing of connections
and so on. But in basic it works like described above.

Thats true for all TCP based protocolls, for example mail (smtp),
ftp, HTTP when used for web-pages in browsers, ssh, telnet, pop3,
imap, ...

HTH
Tino Wildenhain