[Zope] Re: ZODB file size

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:12:07 -0800

I think I might also have seen a situation where dd worked to create a large
file but tar didn't and ls output an incorrect file size (this was on Debian
Potato / SPARC with a 64 bit 2.2 kernel and 32 bit user-space, likely
becuase the C library didn't have LFS support and/or the apps I was running
as compiled didn't use it).  Making sure that your C library, kernel, and
Python, and other tools have LFS support is a pain enough, but this is
generally solved for you with any newer Linux distribution like Debian 3.0
(Debian python2.1 packages have LFS support - I have had 3-4 GB Data.fs
files on a recent Debian box) and newer versions of RedHat.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Josef Meile [mailto:jmeile@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 11:02 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] Re: ZODB file size

> Install Python with largefile support.
Yes, but it won't be enough if your linux doesn't support
it. In this case you can try to use external access products
like LocalFs, AdaptableStorage (Not sure about the spelling),
ExtFile-ExtImage, DirectoryStorage, etc.. Or enabling Large
File Support in your linux by migrating to Reiserfs (from suse),
XFS (from sgi), JFS (from IBM), Ext3fs, etc..

An easy way to know if your linux support large files is to type:
dd if=/dev/zero of=big_file_test bs=1024 count=2600000
* Make sure you have at least 3Gb free space.

It will try to create a file (big_file_test) bigger than 2Gb. If you see:
"File too large" it means your system doesn't support large files.

Then, with the file you just create, you can follow this instructions
to check if your python support LFS:
http://www.zope.org/Members/beacon/install_instructions

> And maybe check the mailing list
> archive
> since this question has been asked and answered several times.
This one helps too ;) and perhaps checking linux newsgroups.

Regards,
Josef