[Zope] Zcatalog, full text index, and size issues

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 20:21:08 +0200

Stacy Roberts wrote at 2003-6-30 08:59 -0700:
 > My Data.fs is growing by an average 200K each time I
 > add an object to my application.
 > have a full text index that is rather lengthy. It
 > handles the container object and all subobjects
 > (possibly 200+ 'data element' objects). Once I removed
 > my full text index, the size decreased to about 27K
 > per operation.

You should be aware that full text indexes are always expensive
in terms of space and time. A full text index may well
require several times the space of your original text.

However, in your case, the factor seems to be about 8 which
is astonishing high.

You may have luck in looking for a text index with less features (e.g.
without ranking).
Having less features may reduce space requirements.

Dieter