[Zope] How many hits can zope handle?

Wayne Connolly wayne@c-media.com.au
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:58:15 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the quick response Chris. My first comment
is-My gawd: our estimates produced similar number
though in a more primative fashion.

Our estimate is a 6 month projection based upon
conservitive estimates, if it flops it flops but we
have divided our company up in such a fasion that it
wont impact our other products and our
income(hopefully: but not likely straight away with
the money thing :-(. Akamai have provided a quote per
gig of traffic that will severly reduce our overheads
to a reasonable level and of course the server
farm(9600 CDN). We are just trying to see if we can
'plug' zope into it because we have had such good
luck/fun with it in the past.
Unfortunately our server hit rate will be 100% with
zero cache as each hit auotatically submits info to
the database. No web pages are called. We will probly
only recieve about 10 ~ 15 million hits a month for
web page download(max).

All sounds like doom and gloom but with slow uptake
(6months) we should be able to include zope in the
loop somewhere. It would be a shame not to...

Wayne

--- In zope@yahoogroups.com, Chris McDonough
<chrism@z...> wrote:
> Maybe.
>
> That's a lot of traffic.  Ten billion hits per day
equates to 115,740
> hits per second of continuous steady-state traffic
(10,000,000,000 /
> 86400).  A typical rule of thumb for system scaling
is that 5 * nonpeak
> hits/sec needs to be accounted for in the design, so
you'd probably need
> to design for about 580,000 hits/sec to meet peak
load.

> If you can offload 90% of the traffic to a caching
tier (very possible
> if you don't need to do many writes), that means
every 1 out of 10
> requests or so will make it to a Zope appserver.
You can also assume
> that a single cache server on Intel hardware (you'll
need to convert
> this to mainframe terms) can handle about 600
requests per second.
> Thus, your application will require about 966 cache
server instances
> (580,000 / 600).
>
> If 10% of the traffic makes it to Zope, this means
that the Zope tier
> will need to service about 58,000 requests per
second.  If you design
> your application properly, you can expect a hit rate
from a single Zope
> instance on Intel hardware of about 50 - 90
requests/sec.  This means
> you're going to need at least 644 appservers (58,000
*.1 / 90).  I don't
> know how many ZEO servers this setup would need,
we've never needed to
> project ZEO server scale like that.  Probably about
50.

> FWIW, just to get an idea of the scale of something
to handle this:

> - Your estimated bandwidth requirements for such a
setup will be
>   about 1160 Mbits/s during peak load (if you assume
each hit
>   consumes about 250 bytes to account for overhead,
which is a very
>   low estimate).
>
> - If a T1 costs US $700 a month, you'll be spending
~$525,000.00 a
>   month (1160 / 1.544 * 700) retail just for the
connectivity charges
>   to meet your peak demand.
>
> - The initial hardware investment (if you need it)
will cost about
>    US$3.5 million+ (1660 servers * 2100/apiece).
>
> - If you figure that one competent sysadmin can
administer about 60
>   machines, you'll likely need to hire around 26
full time admins to
>   keep the system going.
>
> Given all that, are you sure about your hit
projection?

> - C
>

> On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 21:40, Wayne Connolly wrote:
> > Can Zope handle 10 billion plus hits a day? while
at
> > the same time cramming info from these hits into a
> > database(berkley db)?
> >
> > Ive got zope running on a mainframe and we are
slowly