[Zope] Testing for and/or avoiding acquisition

Phil Bradbury phil.bradbury@man.ac.uk
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:03:04 +0100

An interesting way of proceeding... however, if a subfolder has no
content.html file it will call the next one up in the hierachy (the parent
folder) rather than the one at root level - and as such will negate the
effect of placing the method at root. It would work for a small site with
not a deep hierachy I guess, but not for what we need it for.

The concept is not too radical - all I want to do is to parse a content.html
file in the local folder (if one exists) and to replace it with the content
of no_content.html if it doesn't. The no_content.html file will ultimately
just be a sort of aide-memoire saying 'you have no "content.html" file in
this folder' rather than just parsing one higher up which will show
non-relevant information for the folder.

Hope this makes a bit of sense!

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: Dylan Reinhardt [mailto:zope@dylanreinhardt.com]
Sent: 09 July 2003 13:22
To: phil.bradbury@man.ac.uk
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Testing for and/or avoiding acquisition

In the case you've described, I would work *with* acquisition, rather
than avoid it or thwart it.

Put a method in your root called 'content.html' and make it do whatever
you wanted done by your 'no-content.html' object.  Then proceed to place
other 'content.html' objects where you want them to apply.

If there is no other content.html available, the one in the root will be
called... and whatever you want done in that case will be done.

HTH,

Dylan