[Zope] Questions re: REQUEST, external methods; newbie stupidity at play

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
16 Jul 2003 16:03:08 -0700

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 12:30, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Dylan Reinhardt wrote at 2003-7-15 16:21 -0700:
>  > That's not going to work.  Unlike Python, DTML doesn't seem to like
>  > using a variable in an expression whose output is stored in the same
>  > variable.
>
> I do not believe this:
>
>   "REQUEST.set" is a normal Python function.
>   Calling it, first evaluates the arguments and only then enters
>   the function body.

That makes sense.  Even so, I have encountered the exact problem the OP
described.  Perhaps he and I are committing the same error, but the
effects he described were instantly familiar to me.  I don't use
REQUEST.set() much any more, so I could be remembering my difficulties
incorrectly.

> However, I remember faintly, that there was a DTML namespace
> caching issue. Under some circumstances the value read from
> "REQUEST" was cached and later delivered from the cache rather
> than freshly read from "REQUEST".

Is this the cause of the OP's problem, you think?

Dylan