[Zope] large number of users in standard acl_users ?

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:24:26 -0500

>> With such a low number of concurrent users, you can probably get away
>> with it server-wise, though your users may be subject to high latency.
>
> Why high latency?

Well, I was just guessing that the user authentication lookups probably
aren't a constant-time operation and scale at least linearly with the
number of users, but I don't actually know this. It could be that it
falls on the other side of the space/time tradeoff and will instead go
nuts on memory.

>> Better would be a BTreeUserFolder. I can't prove the existence of one
>> at the moment, and it's possible that the regular UserFolder already
>> uses BTrees, in which case, go nuts.
>
> As someone else suggested, SimpleUserFolder would be the way to go.
> You could store your users as documents (DTML of ZPT) in a BTrreFolder
> without having to write any filesystem-based code...
>
> If you don't mind writing FS-based code, just use SUF's subclassing
> technique to write a userfolder that stores its user objects in a
> BTree of some sort...

That should be easy enough, but I'm really surprised that there's no
BTreeUserFolder, and slightly less surprised that the default userfolder
isn't so backed. But then, maybe there are tradeoffs of which I'm not aware.

          --jcc