[Zope] Zope 2.7.0b1 Released

Chris McDonough chris.mcdonough@cox.net
22 Jul 2003 03:19:02 -0400

Hmmm.. that's probably because I didn't know it was. ;-)

But that may be a reflection of the fact that I use a Python 2.2.3 built
from source.  When I do so, the xml libraries get built for me as part
of the Python build and installed into Python's lib/python2.2/xml
package.  I use RH Linux 7.3, and I have expat-1.95.2-2 and
expat-devel-1.95.2-2 RPMs installed on the system.  I suspect that the
Python build picks up on the expat libraries and headers that are part
of these packages and builds pyexpat for me.  But if I didn't have expat
installed when I built Python, I suspect I wouldn't get pyexpat built
into my Python, which indeed appears like it would be a problem for TAL
and the XML export/import machinery.

The bizarre thing about this situation is that another version of
pyexpat is installed into zopehome/Shared/DC/xml/pyexpat by Zope.  I
don't really know the difference between this pyexpat and the pyexpat
that gets installed by Python.

Other than pyexpat, I know of no other dependencies on Python XML
packages that Zope has.  That doesn't mean there aren't any though. ;-)
What doesn't work for you if you don't install PyXML?

FWIW, I must admit to never quite understanding the state of PyXML. I
don't know whether it's now part of Python proper or parts of it are
part of Python proper or what.  I wish it would just be put into Python
wholesale.  But I've never needed to install it to "just run Zope".
OTOH, to run something like ParsedXML, I've needed it.

Any clues here would be nice.  I *think* I even used to know something
about this sitation, but I've long since forgotten the details.  Since
we've switched to only distributing source for UNIXlike platforms, this
will become more of an issue and I'll need to understand the
requirements again so I can document them.

FWIW, the Windows build does explicitly include expat libraries.

- C