[Zope] Newbie needs help - Zope 2.6.1 corrupting user objects?

John Pedersen charles.pedersen@sri.com
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:46:56 -0700

Danke Dieter for your timely reply.

I panicked a bit when I first saw the trace.  After I sent out my message, I
looked at it more carefully and realized that indeed, the "Favorites" folder
was the problem.

In this user's case (and in one other) there was a Favorites folder created,
and a link placed inside in after a script action was triggered by clicking
on an 'add to favorites' link.  I did a bit of experimenting, creating some
bogus accounts and discovered that for those with 'member' roles, I could
cause this problem either by invoking the link or by trying to create a
'Favorites' folder by hand in the proper location.

After I figured out that it was associated with this bit of site
functionality, I went back and checked all of my site members and discovered
that only two members, who have full admin privileges on the site, have this
working properly, two used it and blew their accounts away, and other 100 or
so hadn't used it yet.  So I assumed there was a permissions problem and
that's driven me back into reviewing how we've got this bit configured.

I went back and looked at the links in the accounts that displayed the
runtime error and those that didn't, and I found that through the ZMI
interface, I would 'view' the links in those accounts where it worked, but
in those where the runtime error was displayed, the links under this folder
couldn't be viewed.  I also noted that the 'bad' links were to pages which
ought to be viewable to that member.

In the meantime, this seems like a pretty catastrophic way to fail for a
simple you don't have permission to do this kind of error.

I'm going to take this discussion over to the Plone list, since I think that
this Add to My Favorites is their bit, but any other thoughts you have for
resolving this would really be appreciated.

Vielen dank fur alles

John