[Zope] Newbie Q: How do you backup the data? Where is everything anyway?

Frank Joerdens frank@archi-me-des.de
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:58:10 +0200

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 12:44:13PM -0500, J Cameron Cooper wrote:
[]
> >However, I don't know where this object database stores its information
> >- var/Data.fs does not exist on my system

Something really stupid, this was (I'm not sure what exactly): My
Midnight Commander file manager appeared to have a view cached or
something, and displayed var/ as empty . . .

[]
> It is widely regarded as safe to simply copy your Data.fs. As a single
> file, it is not subject to copy-while-write consistency issues. If you
> do copy in the middle of a transaction, you will lose that transaction,
> but it will be truncated on next run and should not harm your previous data.

Ah, cool. That's good to know.

> DirectoryStorage (an alternate ZODB storage) has utilities for a
> snapshot mode, and does incremental backups, as well as other neat things.
> http://dirstorage.sourceforge.net/

Excellent link; in particular the link there to the ZODB storage feature
comparison matrix is helpful.

Thanks & Regards,

Frank