[Zope] Character-set woes (possibly OT)

Mark Barratt markb@textmatters.com
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:37:15 +0100

Chris Withers wrote:

> Ah, well, is the stuff you're chucking out UTF-8 or iso-8859-1?
> what do you want to be chucking out? ;-)

I have a working system which appears to accept and preserve ISO 8859-1
all the way through from rich-text input through storage in the database
and output through Zope.

But I want Unicode all the way through everything because it's the Right
Thing To Do, because I'm a typographer and care about characters,
because one of my Zope sites has lots of users/contributors for whom ISO
8859-1 is not native, because I want to output PDF via XSL:FO from
Zope-processed XML, and because my next project has to be able to be
replicated in N languages. UTF-8 encoding because it seems widely
supported in browsers and other apps.

--
Mark Barratt
Text Matters