[Zope] Re: what's the difference between metal:block and tal:block?

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:27:07 -0500

>> I'm not understanding when to use either. I sometimes see a tal:block
>> nested in a metal:block, and sometimes the either way, or sometimes
>> just one of the two.
>>
>> What's the difference between them?
>
> A <metal:block> tag allows you to use METAL statements without having
> to prefix each attribute with 'metal:', while <tal:block> does the
> equivalent for TAL statements.

One uses these when there's no obvious or necessary tag in which to put
a METAL or TAL declaration. It's quicker to write than a div/span plus a
tal:omit-tag.

Note that the name of the tag after the namespace (block) can really be
anything. But 'block' seems to be our de facto standard.

          --jcc