[Zope] re: zope:Japanese characters

Michael Sydenham Michael Sydenham"
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:20:50 +0000

Hi Chris

I am brand new to Zope and also using Japanese. I came across this problem also. The reason is the default char encoding in the ZMI (particularly when editing e.g. DTML) is set to iso-8859-1. It needs to be set to Shift-JIS. If using IE and you change the char encoding to shift-JIS before you save (then view the page), you can verify this issue.

To "fix" it you need to change this to Shift-JIS in the file "manage_page_header.dtml" (in <websitefolder>/lib/python/App/dtml/) like follows

<dtml-if "REQUEST.get('management_page_charset')">
    <dtml-comment>
    A page-specific encoding specification. Good.
    </dtml-comment>
<dtml-elif management_page_charset>
    <dtml-comment>
    A site-global encoding specification in a property.
    Note that this feature only works if there are no unicode objects
    around. This means that this feature is not likely to be supported
    in all future versions of zope.
    </dtml-comment>
    <dtml-call "REQUEST.set('management_page_charset',_['management_page_charset'])">
<dtml-else>
    <dtml-comment>
    No encoding specification. Most pages are like this.
    <dtml-call "REQUEST.set('management_page_charset','iso-8859-1')">
    </dtml-comment>
    <dtml-call "REQUEST.set('management_page_charset','SHIFT_JIS')">
</dtml-if>

--

the part of interest is the 2nd last line. I say "fix" because I am not sure if it is the official way to fix it, but it works for me. If anyone with more experience can suggest a better or more elegant solution, I'd be happy to hear it.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Michael.
Tokyo, Japan.