[zope] DBTab question

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:21:07 -0400

Thierry FLORAC wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> I'm currently using DBTab (1.2) to split my Zope database into three
> entities :
>  - a Data.fs for my "main" database
>  - a Catalog.fs for my huge "full-text indexing" catalog
>  - a Users.fs to store my users database.
> These three databases are always and heavilly used by every request.
>
> I'm now going to add several new specific applications. For each of these
> applications, I'd like to create a new data file specific to it, but I have a
> few questions about this :
>  - does it have any drawback ?
>  - is there any limit on the number of data files that can be used without
> performance loss ?
>  - when a request is received which doesn't implies any of these specific
> applications, are database connections automatically opened on them or not ?

The current version of DBTab opens all databases on every request.
However, opening a connection really just involves setting a few
attributes and bringing the object cache up to date.  So I don't know at
what point you'll start seeing speed reductions as a result of multiple
databases.  Try adding a few dozen and see if it makes any difference.
The good news is that this is the only potential speed barrier I can
think of.

Shane