[Zope] dtml files in dtml files? getting frames to work on a simple Product

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 17:05:20 -0600

>I am trying to write a simple web based chat server Product.  The interface is simple with a frame for entering text, and another frame for viewing the chat so far.  My problem is that in a dtml file, I put links to two other dtml files (those being the two frames), and the frames don't show up.  How can I make this work?

Beats me. What you just wrote could mean you're doing any number of
things. If you show us your source, maybe someone can spot the error.

But since I like shooting in the dark, you should be doing something
like this fragment:

<frameset>
  <frame src="&dtml.url-frame1" name="frame1" />
  <frame src="<dtml-var frame2 url>" name="frame2" />
</frameset>

Remember that the frameset takes a URL, not content. That's what the
DTML above gives you (in two different syntaxes) for 'frame1' and 'frame2'.

For relative links, I suppose you could also say

<frameset>
  <frame src="frame1" name="frame1" />
  <frame src="frame2" name="frame2" />
</frameset>

Notice that here there's no DTML involved.

Note: This is all untested. But it should work.
Also note: don't use frames if you can get away with it. Frames are bad.

          --jcc