[Zope] Problem with Linux installation

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 17:07:17 -0600

> So I thought I'd try the second option. I typed:
>
> ./start.py -u admin
>
> The process seemed to go fine (opened datanbase, mounted database,
> etc.) but a few seconds later I got a message:
>
> ERROR(200) z2 Can't find UID admin
>
> After experimenting a bit, I noticed that when I run ./start it
> deletes the 'inituser' file at some point during opening and mounting
> the database (as it appears anyway). So a few seconds later it looks
> for admin and finds nothing.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here? I have successfully done the whole
> thing in Windows 2000 (which of course is a different story, but
> still) and I can't find anything in the documentation that I'm doing
> wrong. I downloaded the zip file again and did the whole thing from
> the beginning and it made no difference, so it is not a corrupted file
> or anything like that. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks!

Is 'admin' a system user (as opposed to a Zope user)? It needs to be:
the user you specify is the one Zope will run as after startup (Zope
should not run as root, though it may need to start as root to listen on
privileged ports.)

You should create a user for Zope to run as (I call mine 'zope') and
specify that on the command line.

I can't say what's going wrong with your z2.py invokation, but you
should probably run it with 'start' anyway.

          --jcc