[Zope] Whether Zope can do the job

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:11:19 +0100

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Maybe
> I create some script with "python" to glue all mentioned applications.
> But I am now searching whether there is a more simple and
> straight-forward solution.

No, doing this with Zope so it's really useful demands you to "glue"
together not the applications, but the API's. You need the minimum of
functionality that when you upload a scanned image it OCR's it and
indexes the text for searching.

It's not hard to do if you know how to develop for Zope and have an OCR
API. But knowing how to develop for Zope is a big hurdle.

> I have been running PaperPort/PageKeeper/OmniPage/Pagis for years.  They
> work fine on Windows.  But I am searching for a similar application from
> OpenSource to run on Linux

Well, Zope is not that application. Zope is rather a development
platform where you can DEVELOP such an application, but unless you need
it to be web-based, it's probably not the right platform. If you need it
to be web-based it's an excellent platform, but you still need Zope
development skills.