[Zope] zope benchmarks now available

Samir Mishra SamirMishra@cbuae.gov.ae
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:50:21 +0400

It's a great start. Thanks. I find it very helpful.

I'm also very curious about performance on dynamic content. My experience
has been, and I think I'm not alone in this, that even with my rarefied
understanding of the capabilities of Zope, I find myself exploiting it's
advantages. I don't think I have a single static page on my site. I think
it's more to do with mindset. I just don't think in terms of "static" pages,
I'm more concerned with the logic than the presentation. In fact some of my
pages are extremely complex. Perhaps much more than they need to be, but I'm
still learning.

Another comment I need to make - this is through experience with my manager.
On http://www.zope.org/Members/BwanaZulia/zope_benchmarks/benchmarks.html
the key statement is "Tomcat is 2x or 3x faster than Zope when execute an
SQL query", the key words being "SQL query". Not pages. Even I missed that
first. I'm stating the obvious here, but sometimes even the obvious needs to
be restated.

And a suggestion - I'd be very interested to know if the above was (still)
true for DB access. One piece of logic we frequently use here is to generate
a form with default values that are dynamically extracted from a database.
Explanation - we have some very lengthy forms. Since we don't expect users
to complete them in one go, we give them the option of storing whatever they
enter in a session in the DB. And each time the user wishes to update the
information, the input form is dynamically generated with SQL query
variables (I'm still using <dtml-sqlvars ...> which is slower than the
alternatives, but like I said earlier, I'm still learning) being used as
default values.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Samir.