[Zope] Performance problem with zpscopgda

Roach, Mark R. mrroach@cimplify.net
19 Mar 2003 17:44:53 -0500

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 16:34, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> I expect that the rendering is quite costly.
>
>   DTML and Python scripts perform a costly security check
>   (it the user allowed to access this variable/method)
>   on every access.

Hi, Dieter, I think you are right, it does appear to be the rendering
and not the sql query (good news). I guess I was reading that output
incorrectly.

I have discovered that using a python script instead of dtml, even for
what seems like very simple markup can make a tremendous performance
difference. I replaced a couple of often-run dtml methods with python
scripts and reduced execution time from 5+ seconds to ~.8 seconds in
some cases. I was pretty surprised by how drastic that was.

> Try to implement the rendering in an External Method
> and see whether it becomes faster.
>
> I can recommend my "ZopeProfiler" product to
> see precisely where Zope spends its time. See
>
>   <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope>

Thanks, I will try both of those suggestions. I guess it might also be
time for me to investigate writing a product.

Thanks again for your help.

-Mark