[Zope] Reversible encryption on passwords?

Terry Hancock hancock@anansispaceworks.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:03:57 -0800

On Friday 21 March 2003 02:06 am, Jaroslav Lukesh wrote:
> : Odesílatel: Terry Hancock <hancock@anansispaceworks.com>
> : 1) You can't remind the user of their password, because
you
> : don't have it.
> You could generate temporary random password

Yes you can, but it annoys users.  You can afford to annoy
your users if and only if you have a captive audience (like
they work for your company), which unfortunately is not the
case for me. ;-)

If I went (back) to such a scheme, I'd have to offer users
a choice, which would be sort of unpleasant on the
programming side.  So I've been thinking about the problem
some more to see if there's something better.

In principle, if I use SSL for connections, then the only
real risk is that an outsider can get hold of the user
database used for authentication. But that's probably not
really that hard.  Right now, it doesn't matter so much,
because the protected information isn't that sensitive --
so we use plaintext (and not even SSL) now, but in the
future, we might be storing more sensitive information.

Another option is to actually use two passwords -- a low
security one that does the current job and a
higher-security one for the expansion stuff (and encrypt
that one in the usual way).  That's sort of annoying too,
though.

Still thinking about it.

Cheers,
Terry