[Zope] Need a way to prevent new members form subscribing DIR ECTLY

Samir Mishra SamirMishra@cbuae.gov.ae
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 08:55:46 +0400

I'd also be interested in finding out if there's a pre-packaged product for
this. It would help me improve my code/logic.

I needed to use similar logic and had to program this in. All new users have
to select the appropriate approval manager (in my case, a group manager)
when their account is created. The username is stored in a 'pending' list (a
property associated with the group manager, i.e., a dictionary with group
manager names corresponding to list of new usernames). When a group manager
logs in, a list of all pending membership requests are displayed on his/her
start page. The group manager will either approve the request or disallow
membership, providing appropriate reasons for this to the user, etc.

On approval, I move the username to a list named 'authorized', which also
has a global equivalent, similar to the 'pending' list.

I still haven't been able to figure out a good way of handling a user who
has already been turned down for membership.
 - How do I handle their logins when they return? Do I redirect them?
 - How do I prevent him/her from applying again? (I don't think I can)
I've consider allowing them to believe they've been approved when they
haven't, and not providing access to certain resources. Another idea is to
move them to a pre-defined group (e.g., 'Approved') with special privileges.
There's no right answer, I guess I'll just have to figure out what works
best for me. We're still in alpha testing.

I used a combination of DTML, for display, and Python scripts, mainly for
constructing/managing the property sheet(s).

Of course, I'm giving you a simplified version of what we actually had to
do, but the principles remains the same.

HTH.

Samir.