[Zope] Zope 3 super-mini newsletter # 7

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:35:21 -0500

WELCOME TO THE ZOPE 3 NEWSLETTER: ISSUE 7 (25 MAR 2003)

   Welcome to the seventh Zope 3 newsletter.  Information about Zope 3
   and newsletter contributions and suggestions can be found at the
   bottom of this newsletter.

GLOSSARY FOR THE UNINITIATED

   Encounter a term in this newsletter you don't know?  Try this
   glossary:  http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/NewsletterGlossary

NEWS SNIPPETS:

  - Tres Seaver is leading a Berlin DZUG Sprint this week.  The team will
    produce a demonstration content management application.  See
    http://www.zope.org/Zope3/DZUGSprint for more information,
    including a list of participants.

  - Jim Fulton is leading a Washington, DC sprint on Monday and Tuesday
    of this week prior to PyCon.

ALBERTAS AGEJEVAS: Locale Support and On-line Help

   We (Codeworks) were working on Zope3 as the need of our project asked.

   One thing we've done some work on was local authentication: we made
   the global security manager's getPrincipal() return a wrapped
   principal instead of a string, and fixed a bug or two.

   Also, I've done some renaming in zope.app.traversal as per SteveA's
   suggestion: now getPhysicalRoot, getPhysicalPath and locationAsUnicode
   are called simply getRoot, getPath and canonicalPath.

   Also we happened to interfere with branch merges of ZODB folks with
   a cunningly timed whitespace cleanup.  <wink>

R. DAVID MURRAY: Authentication Service optimization and polish

   I just started work on trying to define a new Field type which is
   pretty much entirely defined by a Schema.  The idea is basically
   to allow a Field to represent a complex object defined by Schema
   defined sub-Fields, and allow for an automated way (Widget) to
   render a sub-form.  I've just started, so I'm not even sure I'm
   headed in the right direction.  My use case, by the way, is an
   "Address" Field.  (In my application, the Address field will be
   backed by a database of Address objects implementing the IAddress
   schema.) Comments welcome.

CONTRIBUTING

   Please send Zope 3 news, and newsletter suggestions and requests, to
   zope-news@zope.org, with "Zope 3" somewhere in the subject line.
   As you can see, casual and quick news items are acceptable and even
   desirable.

MORE INFORMATION ON ZOPE 3

   The central place to find Zope 3 information is currently
   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3

   The Zope 3 mailing list is archived and managed at
   http://lists.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope3-dev

   The Zope 3 development IRC channel, #zope3-dev at irc.openprojects.net
   is (strictly) for discussion of Zope 3 development issues.

   Newsletters are archived at http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/Zope3Newsletter