[Zope] Data.fs error on Pack

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:35:10 -0600

>> I'm no Linux expert.  What do we need to do to start Zope as root,
>> switch running to a regular user (using -u on z2.py), and still be
>> able to pack the database?
>
> IIRC, running Zope as root is a no-no...
>
> As to why, you'd have to read the docs or search the mailing lists...

Zope will refuse to run as root, but must start as root to use port 80.
In order to do this it drops to a normal user after startup.

The var directory needs to be owned and permissioned properly (with the
sticky bit set.) See docs/SETUID.txt for instructions.

Make sure when you change owners or permissions on var that its contents
get changed as well.

          --jcc