[Zope] Is this a bug?

Vizitiu, Ciprian CVizitiu@gbif.org
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:58:30 +0200

> Vizitiu, Ciprian wrote at 2003-3-26 11:03 +0100:
>  > Zope 2.5.1. on Linux (also produced on 2.6.0); Macromedia
> HomeSite 5 on XP.
>  >
>  > Open and edit some dtml via FTP. After several open/save
> opperations in  > HomeSite you can no longer access the
> management interface with IE! Tested  > with IE 5.x and 6.x
> on W2K/XP and IE on Mac. The page time-outs after a  > while
> with the standard IE error message. It looks like the site is
> down.  > The only way out of the problem is
> Mozilla/Netscape/Opera: You open the  > management interface
> wo any problem at all; you have to go and open in the  > web
> interface ALL the documents that have been edited through the
> ftp  > interface and SAVE them. That's it! Double click the
> link and then press  > Save. It apparently fixes the problem
> but it looks very scary. Is this a bug  > or is there
> something wrong in my config?
>
> I sounds strange....
>
> However, when you are able to access Zope with other
> browsers, it does not seem to be a Zope problem (alone).
>

> We use HomeSite (and IE 5.5) routinely and do not the these
> problems. What we see, however, is a big need for file
> descriptors. We had to set the file descriptor limit for Zope
> very high. We also see lots of "sockets of unknown type"
> opened by the Zope process and we do not yet understand where
> they are there.

The bug I'm describing is VERY annoying and very real. I managed to get a
20M snapshot of a Data.fs that exhibits the bug. I thought that the Zope
team would be interested... ;-) Anyway, since some operations done in the
interface brings functionality back it is something at least partially Zope.
The only major problem is that it is not predictable! You can sometimes do
tens of open/save from HomeSite and nothing goes wrong!

I've dumped some of the traffic towards the machines but I didn't had time
to analyze it. It looks like IE's requests leave the XP workstation arrive
at the Zope server but the Zope remains silent... :-|