[Zope] Zserver or Apache or IIS

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:25:29 -0600

> If I have to host several sites on one machine, which is better:
>
> One instance of ZServer
>
> Several instances of Zserver behind apache
>
>  Several instances of Zserver behind IIS

I prefer (d) one instance of ZServer with a VHM behind one instance of
Apache. It's fairly common, and you can find lots of examples of it. The
benefits are

* Apache is well-hardened against the outside world and can do caching
for extra speed (not to mention being free, simple, multi-platform,
etc). Squid can also be good for caching.

* having all your sites in the same Zope instance simplifies management
greatly. It's all on one port, on one backup, etc. VirtualHostMonster is
a great thing.

                --jcc