[Zope] Detecting Mozilla based browsers

Eron Lloyd elloyd@lancaster.lib.pa.us
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:47:06 -0500

It would be nice to have a script used to identify many types of browsers
(plus what features they support). I developed one (at home) that pulls the
value from REQUEST.HTTP_USER_AGENT and guesses which one made the request,
and returns a special code (ex. 'MSIE', 'Mozilla', 'Konqueror') which you can
use in a decision tree from there. Would it be useful for the REQUEST object
to have an API for this? Perhaps I'll play around a bit with it. Trouble is,
like currancy converters, how do we keep the list up-to-date? An XML-RPC
call? For features like Midas...good question. Not being real familiar with
it, how do you invocate it in a page? It might not be possible to detect
until it is released in the core with say, Mozilla 1.5, and you can know by
the version number (unless it's disabled!)

Good luck,

Eron