[Zope] Detecting Mozilla based browsers

Gilles Lenfant gilles@pilotsystems.net
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:11:40 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tino Wildenhain" <tino@wildenhain.de>
To: "Eron Lloyd" <elloyd@lancaster.lib.pa.us>
Cc: "Gilles Lenfant" <gilles@pilotsystems.net>; <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Detecting Mozilla based browsers

> Hi,
>
> detecting a special user-agent incarnation is usually a waste of time.
> Instead of trying to detect one of 1423124982739 browsers with different
> capabilities by their most of the time faked user-agent string,
> one should focus to silently fall back and check only availability
> of special attributes in the DOM.

Thanks, I'll try to do it this way.

> IF you want to use a special DOM object, just look wether it is
> defined and choose your action based on this.
>
> This way you silently support all browsers which try to be the same
> instead of making an endless growing list.
>
> I personally HATE sites which tell me I would have an unsuported
> browser only because their sucking scripts fail.

I usually hate this too, but I need this to (try to) extend the IEEditor to
give Mozilla+Midas users the ability to edit content with a WYSIWIG tool.
Other solution : an applet, a flash stuff (if it can dial with a HTTP
server) or structured text :((
The users want rich text formatting but don't want to learn 10 HTML tags.

> Pretty please stop this sillyness!

It's not for introducing stupid marketing animations but a really useful
stuff.

--Gilles