[Zope] Multi-User File/Document Sharing

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Tue, 06 May 2003 14:58:44 -0500

> Lawyer wants to share documents (Word, Excel) with multiple clients.
> Thus, the lawyer (admin) needs the ability to upload/download files
> for multiple client "accounts".  The client only needs to
> download/upload files associated with their account.
>
> In addition, we would need a "stamp" of the filename, show uploaded
> (downloaded) it, file size, file type, description, etc.

Zope can take care of most of that with nothing more than a few scripts,
mostly for playing with permissions. Even that wouldn't be needed if you
were comfortable with everyone accessing the ZMI (i.e. only doing it
yourself.)

The only interesting (read: non-trivial) thing will be the activity
monitoring. If you don't ever pack, I suppose you could just inspect the
history. Since that's not really an option, you'll have to either
recreate that or suck it out and save it. Easiest is probably to only
allow upload and download through a script that does the recording of
whatever parameters you like.

And since I'm in implementation suggestion mode, you can either have one
big area for files and simply change the permissions of who gets to see
what, or have various secured "home" folders. If you want a document to
commonly go into several of these in a transaction (which is one reading
of the above), you'll probably want your upload script to copy to both.
If you only want to be able to deal with multiple spaces, well, nevermind.

Also look into Plone/CMF. You can make document types other than "File"
and it already has the concept of user spaces. (It'll even generate them
on user creation.) Plus it has a nice (non-ZMI) interface for your
document-management tasks.

          --jcc