[Zope] Re: incredible growing urls

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
16 May 2003 14:20:51 -0700

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 12:44, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Unfortunately, I fear, Paul is right and I were wrong :-(
>
> The reason:
>
>     Zope effectively turns some URLs of the form
>     "url" into "url/index_html" turning
>     trivial relative URLs effectively into non-trivial ones.

As discussed in the follow-up to that message, I think it's a
trailing-slash issue on the client side.

Zope answers the request it receives... it's up to the client to
formulate the question correctly, and it's not clear that there is any
consistency with how folder-as-content requests *should* work.

>From Zope's way of thinking, a request for a folder (with no trailing
slash) is a request for content *at that folder's level*.  But with that
assumption, it follows that a link from the folder's index to that
folder's contents would *need* to specify the folder itself.  That's
bizarre.

So it makes more sense that folders should be treated as folders, index
methods should be treated as sub-objects of the folder and trailing
slashes should be assumed and/or added to folder-terminated URLs.  But
since Zope doesn't generally render A and A/ any differently, there's
little incentive to make and/or enforce such a rule.

But subtle issues do arise for lack of a content/folder distinction.

I don't agree you were wrong... just right with certain caveats.  :-)

Dylan