[Zope] Re: Zope-2.6.1/Redhat9.0

Ron Bickers rbickers-expires-1053883546.01f66e@logicetc.com
Sun, 18 May 2003 13:25:49 -0400

Yes, and yes.

> You are at the point to change your OS. Enter the world of Debian/Linux.
> Move NOW! :-))

This isn't necessary, though I'm sure Debian users like the idea.  Red Hat
has admittedly become much more agressive in their upgrades.  They want
those requiring stability to purchase their Enterprise versions, while the
bleeding edge folk can stick with their "regular" distribution.

> 1) Upgrade from RedHat 9.0 standard kernel 2.4.20-8 to 2.4.20-13.9 and
> upgrade your glic and glic-common to 2.3.2-27.9.

In other words, update to the latest Red Hat Errata for the kernel and
glibc.  Updating both of these fixed all the problems I was having.

> Installing RPMs:
>
>    rpm -Uvh glic-2.3.2-27.9-xxx glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.xxx

I had some bad problems when upgrading glibc, even with the correct i686
packages.  I ended up having to go to the 'rescue' mode after booting from
the CD and doing an 'rpm -e --root=/mnt/sysimage [old glibc]' and
'rpm --root=/mnt/sysimage -Uvh [new package]' to get things working again.
A big pain since I do 99.99% of my work 15 miles from my servers, but it
wasn't that difficult and I've had no problems since.

> 2) Disbale POSIX thread library in the standard kernel by setting
> "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1" in the bash you use to start zope.

This wasn't necessary for me, but others may have had to use it for reasons
I don't know.

> Note: Since RedHat 8.0 use "-m" option for ps to see all threads, eg. ps
> -aum

Really?  Since 8.0?  I only noticed this starting with the latest RH9 kernel
update a few days ago.  At any rate, I'm personally glad to see this
FreeBSD-ish behavior I came to know and love.

Ron Bickers
Logic Etc, Inc.