[Zope] Data.fs corruption, __before_publishing_traverse__ and POSKeyError

Alexander James Tucker alex@floop.org.uk
Thu, 22 May 2003 10:31:17 +0100

Hi,

I'm currently trying to rebuild a system after some kind soul
installed a rootkit, and having some difficulty bringing back a Zope
installation.

I copied out the 1/2Gb Zope database, reinstalled everything from
scratch, including an upgrade to Zope 2.6.1, and copied back the
Data.fs, expecting at least to be able to get at the management
interface to see what damage was left to patch up, which products I
had to install etc.

However, the first problem is that it seems the database is quite
corrupt.  Zope starts, but accessing any page including management
screens gives me AttributeError: __before_publishing_traverse__

I have tried various incarnations of the fsrecover.py script, which
most of the time gets rid of the corruption but leaves me with the
same error.  I did once manage to get the database to a stage where I
could get in, albeit having rolled back to August 2002 (I guess the
last time anyone did a pack!)  However, I then came across a couple
of POSKeyErrors :(

Has anyone come across the first error before?  Is there any way I can
get some useful traceback to indicate what's causing the error, since
looking at the page source there is no trace information.

Hopefully,
Alex.