[Zope] submitting multi-checkbox

Peter Bengtsson mail@peterbe.com
Tue, 27 May 2003 00:50:06 +0100

At 23:18 2003-05-25 -0600, Norman Lorrain wrote:
>I'm trying to submit multi-checkbox (Formulator widget) values to a
>database using ZSQL.
>
>My  database schema defines the fields as boolean; Formulator converts
>the values to a list of checked items, e.g. ['checked_item_one',
>'checked_item_two'].  Only checked items are added to the list.
>
>How can I map the formulator output to proper SQL? (a list of booleans)
>I have a couple of ideas, but I'm new to Zope and not sure what would be
>best, or even possible.

Maybe you've found a solution to this already.
Since with checkboxes, non-existances == false. This is not always good so
you'll have to provide some more details.
I usually do something like this:

<input type="checkbox" name="ids:list" value="abc123">
<input type="hidden" name="askedfor_ids:list" value="abc123">

Then in a Python Script I get a list of possible answers and a list of answers.
By comparing them, I can tall which ones were set to false (i.e. unticked)

Don't go directly from DTML to a SQL Method. Bad practise. Get the habit of
always controlling the flow with Python Scripts.

Peter