[Zope] uploading large files w/ LocalFS

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 08:22:39 -0400

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:57:47PM -0500, Gilles wrote:
> Hello Paul,
>
> sorry for having not argumented my reply.
> The major problem I had with big upload/download is memory consumption: the
> last time I try it (zope 2.5.1 or 2.6) downloading a 800Mb file (stored on a

oh, you mean REALLY big :)

> LocalFS directory) was taking lots of memory. I think the zserver has to
> keep the complete request/response object in memory before using/sending it.

It shouldn't.  At least with Image and File objects, AFAICT they are
loaded from the zodb in 64k chunks as needed. If LocalFS tries to
load everything in memory, i'd say that's a mis-feature of LocalFS.

Memory issues aside, I've found that downloading even a single ~40 MB
file makes my zope instance slow to a crawl until it finishes. Not good.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com