[Zope] Recommendations for publishing large documents

Rechenberg, Andrew ARechenberg at shermanfinancialgroup.com
Tue Nov 4 08:58:42 EST 2003

Good day everyone,

We are going to be going live with a Zope/CMF/Plone site for our
Intranet very soon and I wanted to know if anyone has any
recommendations for publishing large documents and documents with
embedded images.

Some background about our organization:

. Zope is running on a Windows 2000 Server
. The majority of users and content publishers are running Windows
2000/XP
. The most prevalent document application in the enterprise is Microsoft
Word.
. The majority of content publishers have very little knowledge of HTML
. Users will want to publish things such as employee manuals, company
newsletters, etc.

My thoughts for large documents were to use Microsoft Word and to
require the master document/sub-document model where each
"chapter/section" would be a sub-document that could be saved as HTML.
I know Word's HTML is sketchy at best.

We also have access to Office 2003, which I believe can save documents
as XML.  Another idea would be to save the document as XML and use some
third-party tool to convert the XML to well-structure XHTML and upload
those documents separately, but that would make linking the documents
together rather difficult for a non-technical user (IMO).

I'm not sure of the appropriate approach for small or large documents
with embedded images.  Word documents with images saved as HTML have
their images stored in separate folders - again, rather hard to publish
these for a novice/non-technical user.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about this subject, or any
URL's for documentation about how to accomplish these tasks?  Any help
is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy.

--