[Zope] Proposal: Organizing objects in ZMI via transparent folders.

Martin Diers martin at diers.us
Fri Nov 14 13:50:06 EST 2003

In any comlpex Zope app, you end up with quite a number of SQL methods/scripts/objects littering
your application's root folder. This is of course because t is convenient to place all those
objects which you need easy access to in all your sub-folders, to take advantage of acquisition.

My point is, the number of objects in your application's main folder can quickly start to get
hairy. Is there any way to categorize them into groups?

I envision something which I call a "transparent folder".

The idea of a transparent folder is that it is a ghost container of sorts. You can place anything
inside of it, but whatever you place there remains an object of the transparent folder's "real"
container. This would allow you to organize your objects into some meaningful structure, without
having to change rewrite all your pathing statements. Objects in transparent folders could be
acquired just as if they are in the parent folder.

Transparent folders should be nestable, but still have all objects inside the nested folders
belong to the first "real" container up the chain.

Is there any such solution like this available now?

Martin Diers
Future Zope guru
Now if I can only figure out this web browser thingy...