[Zope] Newbie to Plone

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Tue Nov 18 18:07:46 EST 2003

public at nuance9.com wrote:

>2) My hosting situation is this:  I have a shared hosting account.  I can setup domains
>within my account as follows:
>
>foo.com -> /home/myAccount/foo
>
>I have installed zope & plone in /home/myAccount/public_html/Zope-2.6.2
>
>With this setup, do I use the one Zope / Plone install to run client foo.com's site and
>client foobar.com's site and if so how - or do I need separate installations?

The usual way to do this is to use a Virtual Host Monster and an Apache
RewriteRule directive (although you could also use Squid or Pound or
some such that does the same thing. See the Virtual Hosting chapter of
the Zope Book. In this way any folder-like object (like a Plone site) in
Zope can be mapped to a domain or subdomain.

I don't know exactly how your hosting situation works (there are many
bizarre setups out there) so it's hard to say exactly. For instance, I
have no idea what the 'foo.com -> /home/myAccount/foo' means and it
looks to me like you're serving the Zope code.

          --jcc

--
"Code generators follow the 80/20 rule. They solve most of the problems, but not all of the problems. There are always features and edge cases that will need hand-coding. Even if code generation could build 100 percent of the application, there will still be an endless supply of boring meetings about feature design."
(http://www.devx.com/java/editorial/15511)