[Zope] Apache/Zope Correct?

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Wed Nov 19 18:03:51 EST 2003

Dennis Godfrey wrote:

>We have Plone/Zope and Apache all running. I thought that we
>had it right until I tried to access the the zope 'manage'
>area from my home.
>
>Our configuration is:
>
>Here is what I see from my home location.
>http://OurSite.com/plone   looks just fine
>http://OurSite.com/manage  does not show the Control Panel, but
>  looks like most of the other stuff is there.
>
>>From the location where we have the install,
>http://OurSite.com:9673/manage shows the Control Panel
>
>My question is why can't I see the Control Panel (I can't restart
>Zope, among other things) from home?

Because you're being mapped into your Plone folder and not the site
root. It's the same as saying http://OurSite.com/ploneFolder/manage

I don't know why http://OurSite.com/plone works, unless you actually
meant http://OurSite.com/ploneFolder (in which case acquisition is
allowing the equivalent of http://OurSite.com/ploneFolder/ploneFolder to
work right) or you have some other object called 'plone'.

>Could it be our httpd.conf configuration? We use a VirtualHost block
>with the following RewriteRule
>RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:9673/VirtualHostBase/http/
>OurSite.com:80/ploneFolder/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
>
>where ploneFolder is a folder created in Zope root and in which
>we have Plone.
>
>I can't access the site using port 9673 from home as it is closed
>off.

Using the port like that goes direct to ZServer and skips the rewrite.
As such, http://OurSite.com:8080/manage actually means 'manage' at the root.

One thing you may do is create a subdomain that maps to the root rather
than a subfolder, so that http://manage.OurSite.com/ would give you the
root, and http://manage.OurSite.com/manage would be 'manage' on root.

          --jcc
--

"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."