[Zope] (CMF == ZPT) && (Elvis lives && DTML is dead)

Roger Chrisman rogerhc at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 20 02:04:14 EST 2003

Hi,

The Zope 'Elvis' Tutorial(1) uses DTML(2). DTML is now deprecated.  So I don't
want to build my first Zope site using the Elvis DTML Tutorial as a model. I
need more.

Please help me if you know where is a good place to read up on CMF(3)/ZPT(4)
usage?

So far I have read:

* ZPT for Beginners -- a Tutorial from ZopeMag.com
(I read it on zopemap.com but can't find it there now; Google cashed it here):
http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:BO_uHBzp4woJ:www.zopemag.com/Issue003/
Section_Articles/article_ZPTintro.html+Zopemag+TAL+METAL+TALES&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

* Virtual Host Monster
http://zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/VirtualHosting.stx

(1) Depricated? --> The Elvis Tutorial is prominently placed in the Zope 2.6.2
binary installation but teaches only DTML:
http://local:8080/HelpSys?help_url=/Control_Panel/Products/ZopeTutorial/Help/
topic_01

(2) Document Template Markup Language (DTML) is a (legacy?) Zope Template
Language.

(3) Content Management Framework (CMF) refers to the use of TAL, TALES and
METAL in Zope Page Templates (ZPT).

TAL -- Template Attribute Language
TALES -- TAL Expression Syntax
METAL -- Macro Expantion with TAL

Hot or cold?

Any other relevant Tutorials or HOWTOs to read? Tips to help me and others who
might read this thread?

Thanks!

Roger :-)
-- to turn my static TEFLChina.org community site into a dynamic interactive
site. Zope looks promising. But DTML is depricated, right?