[Zope] Is zope right for me?

Lennart Regebro regebro at nuxeo.com
Thu Nov 20 16:01:04 EST 2003

From: "John Hobson" <jhobson at ufi.com>
> I'm looking into a CMS system for my company that has good support for
> workflow and process management. I need a system that will allow me to
> connect to my own database with a specifically defined data structure,
> and that will allow me to easily develop and integrate my own
> functionality.

It all does this. "Connect to my own databse" is strictly true, but be aware
that if your requirements are that you have current data in SQL, this
requires more development than using Zopes internal object store (ZODB).

> I see that there is the 'openflow' module for the workflow bits,

And another one called DCWorkflow, which is more widely used. OpenFlow is
supposedly more complex and flexible. I haven't used it, DCWorkflow works
for most cases.

> there a gui interface for openflow for designing processes like a
> traditional workflow application?

Don't know, but for DCWorkflow you do it with a browser.

> Can zope do the other bits that I mention?  If not can anyone suggest
> other CMS's?

Well, Zope is not a CMS. Zope is a web application platform. It's something
you use to make CMS's. There is also CMF, a set of tools to help you build
CMS's. There are several already, and using these would probably save you a
lot of trouble. These are the ones I'm aware of:

CPS: http://www.nuxeo.org/cps
Plone: http://plone.org/
Silva: http://www.infrae.com/products/silva
Easy Publisher: http://www.easypublisher.com/