[Zope] Authenticating off an external server

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Nov 20 16:52:16 EST 2003

I'd like to authenticate in Zope off of another external server.  So,
say, user "bob" with password "secret" logs into Zope -- we then call
https://otherserver.com/auth?username=bob&password=secret, parse the
response, and the user is authenticated (or not) based the response.
(We could also try the external URL with HTTP authentication, it just
depends on the way the external server works)

I looked into PluggableUserFolder some, and it seems possible but not
particularly elegant -- the best I could figure out was creating a new
PasswordEncryptionScheme which would do the web lookup, which is rather
bizarre and obviously a hack.

It seems like a useful thing to do, but I couldn't find any products
that did this.  Is there a better way to do this than this
PluggableUserFolder hackish thing?  Is there a product out there that I
didn't find?

Thanks.