[Zope] Re: APE and bobobase_modification_time

Gabriel Genellina gagenellina at softlab.com.ar
Thu Nov 20 19:37:12 EST 2003

--- In zope at yahoogroups.com, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at s...> wrote:

 > > I'm using APE to copy back and forth from a FileStorage. And I need to
set
 > > bobobase_modification_time (on the APE side) to help keeping things in
 > > sync. How could I do that?
 >
 > generally, bobobase_modification_time is a low-level timestamp
 > meaning "this object was modified in the database at this time."
 > You aren't supposed to muck with it.
 >
 > You probably want an application-level timestamp, like
 > DublinCore's modified date.
 >
 > Are you using zsyncer by any chance? Its reliance on
 > bobobase_modification_time is really a bit of a kludge.

The procedure is as follows: I export the original data.fs, using APE, to a
directory-based hierarchy on the filesystem. Then I use CVS to syncronize
this structure among other users, and then copy the modified objects back
into the FileStorage.
I don't care about undo history (that's done thru CVS) so the storage is
re-created each time.
This works fine except that, when objects are exported to the filesystem,
files are created with the current date/time, and ALL files get marked as
'modified' by CVS, making the update/commit process very long.
So I wish to be able to:
- set each file's date/time to the 'last-modification-time' of the
corresponding, original object in data.fs
- and viceversa, set the 'last-modification-time' of each object equal to
it's filesystem counterpart after updating.
In other words, if objects are unmodified, I want to preserve its
date/time; and if they are modified, I want to keep the last-modification-time.
I think I could manage to do the first thing, but I have no idea on how to
do the second.

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL