[Zope] Quick question.

Goldthwaite, Joe joe at goldthwaites.com
Fri Nov 21 13:37:22 EST 2003

I'm a newbie learning Python and Zope.  I'm trying to create a Zope product
for my application since programming is more familiar to me than HTML.  I
ran into a problem that caused me to join this list.  In the process of
figuring out how to best ask the question, I found the answer.

I had created a package using the example in "The Book of Zope".  When I
first restarted the server, I got an error message in the list of products
saying that my package was broken.  It had an error log showing the line (a
typo) that was causing the problem.  I fixed the line but restarting Zope
kept giving me the same error message on the same line that I had fixed.  I
decided that something funny was going on so I deleted the package from the
"Product Management at /Control_Panel/Products" screen in the hopes that it
would be recreated or I would at least get a new error message.

The product went away completely and nothing I could do would get it back.
I tried moving it to a different directory, changing the metadata name,
changing the class names, nothing worked.  I could look in the directory and
see that my __init__.pyc file was being created so I knew Zope was looking
at it but it didn't seem to do anything with it.

After working on it for most of the day, I finally found the problem.  At
some point, I had accidentally deleted the "s" from the end of the
constructors'  In other words, instead of this;

def initialize(context):
	"""Register the EIS class"""

	context.registerClass(
		EIS.EIS,
		constructors = (
			EIS.manage_addEISForm,
			EIS.manage_addEIS
		),
		permission = 'Add EIS',
		icon='www/icon.gif'
	)

I had This;

def initialize(context):
	"""Register the EIS class"""

	context.registerClass(
		EIS.EIS,
		constructor = (
			EIS.manage_addEISForm,
			EIS.manage_addEIS
		),
		permission = 'Add EIS',
		icon='www/icon.gif'
	)

Notice the missing "s" in "constructor =".  That was doing it.  Now, here's
my question, is there an error log anywhere that would have shown what was
causing the problem without searching for a needle in a haystack?  I was
looking all over the place for some kind of message as to why the package
wasn't showing up but couldn't find anything.  I'm assuming I just don't
know where to look.