[Zope] date formats

Small Business Services toolkit at magma.ca
Mon Nov 24 10:16:25 EST 2003

The line of code:

date=DateTime('2003/13/03')

causes zope to try to create a date variable based on the string '2003/13/03'.  Zope will try a variety of formats to find one that works (zope does not know that you want yyyy/mm/dd, it just tries to make it work).

The line of code:

  print date.strftime("%Y %B %d")

just takes a date variable and prints it out according to the format supplied ("%Y %B %d").

There is no relationship between the two lines of code (ie. the second line of code does not supply the format that you want the first line of code to use).

There is a function called strptime in the python Time module that will parse a string according to a given format.  I have never used it, but you can find a description of this routine in the Python Library Reference manual.

Jonathan