[Zope] Help: My beloved Zope crashes

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Oct 1 15:12:55 EDT 2003

Hanno Schlichting wrote at 2003-9-30 13:05 +0200:
 > In detail: In the ZMI I try to change the content of a document. I click
 > change and my browser gets no response. I can watch my zope instance
 > collecting all free memory (~800MB) then suddenly releasing everything
 > and then going into a cycle grabbing up to 40 MB going down to 0 and
 > restarting this, the whole time with a processor load of 100 percent.
 >
 > It looks like some kind of infinite loop, but I have no idea what could
 > cause this. I ran debug mode from the console but it tells me nothing. I
 > ran fsrecover and fspack on the database file (about 400MB) but
 > everything is fine.

If I had this problem (I would be on Unix, then), I would use
GDB (the GNU debugger) to attach to the process and see what
Zope does. It is a bit tricky to analyse a Python program
with a C level debugger. But, usually, I get valuable insight
into difficult problems, this way.

Now, you are under Windows. But, maybe, there too is a debugger
that can:

  *  attach a running process

  *  display and analyse the threads in the process

  *  support casting and inspection of cast objects.

Then, this may be an option for you, too.

Dieter