[Zope] A ZEO 2, Zope 2.6.2 installation problem

Chris Muldrow cmuldrow at fredericksburg.com
Fri Oct 3 11:01:05 EDT 2003

I've seen bits and pieces of this discussed, but I haven't found an answer
to this problem.

We're trying to move to an installation with Zope 2.6.2 and ZEO 2. We
currently run Zope 2.6.1b2 with Zeo 1.

I've got a client and a ZEO installed, compiled as the user zope. If I start
the ZEO with the following command: sudo -u zope python2 start.py -h
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p 7700

And start the client with the following: sudo -u zope /usr/bin/python2
$cwd/z2.py -D -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -w 8080 -u zope

I get a working Zope on port 8080.

When I attempt to do the same thing on port 80, however, the Zope, of
course, won't bind to port 80 because of permissions. If I start the Zope
like this, however : /usr/bin/python2 $cwd/z2.py -D -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -w 80
-u zope

The debug shows the zope starting up fine, with no errors at all. But it
won't let me get into the site via a Web browser. The Zope thinks it's OK,
but it just spins when you  make a request (and doesn't log a request to
Z2.log)

I've tried both the stable ZEO 2.0b3 on Zope.org as well as one from CVS
that was recommended on the list a while back.

Any ideas?