[Zope] url object?

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Wed Oct 8 23:58:56 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 15:30, Kai Vermehr wrote:
> I'm sorry .... seems as I only can create folders inside the root folder ...

And inside other Folders and folderish objects, hopefully.

> And do objects have unique id's?

Within each Folder, yes.  Globally, no.

>  If so isn't each object identifiable by
> this id alone?

Not in the sense I think you mean.  On the other hand, any object may be
called by name at any point in the hierarchy at or below where it is
defined *if* it is the only object with that name in the hierarchy.
This object can also be selectively overridden by placing a same-named
object at any point in the hierarchy where you want a different result
to apply.

> Doesn't Zope know where everything is?

Not in the way I think you mean.  A better way to put it is that Zope
determines whether there is a publishable object/method that can be
reached from the location a user specifies in their request.

>  If so I could move
> objects around without breaking the links pointing to them ...

If you moved them up, probably... if you moved them sideways or down,
probably not.

In order to get anywhere with Zope, it is *essential* to understand a
key concept called Acquisition. An excellent intro to Acquisition is
here:

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/Acquisition.stx

Rule of thumb: put heavily-used objects at the *highest* point in the
hierarchy over which they apply and use folders primarily to enforce
differing levels of privilege/access.

HTH,

Dylan