[Zope] Python 2.3.2 and Zope 2.7.0b2?

Jamie Heilman jamie at audible.transient.net
Mon Oct 13 08:23:07 EDT 2003

Florian Lindner wrote:
> Why --no-compile? How can I make Zope compile it's code? Isn't compilation
> better then interpretation?

distutils is confusing; I'd guess that with --optimize=1 you'll get
.pyo files which means you really don't need .pyc files as long as you
run zope with the appropriate environment variable set or make sure
you use python -O.  At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it, but if its
really harshing your gig I'd suggest /not/ passing --optimize to
configure and passing --no-compile explicitly along with --prefix set
set to something temporary that you own, then once zope is installed
into a temporary spot, cd to it and run:
python -c 'import compileall,sys;compileall.compile_dir(sys.argv[1])' .
python -Oc 'import compileall,sys;compileall.compile_dir(sys.argv[1])' .
Once that completes then, as the super-user or the user that has
enough privs to install software into your final resting place for the
zope code, just cp -r the entire tree into place (there aren't any
hardlinks or even symlinks in the stock zope tree so that should be
just fine).  Permissions adjustments may be necessary afterwards.
Thats how I install zope because I simply refuse to do unneccessary
work as a privileged user, but distutils makes that a pain in the ass.
Every software building/installing/packaging eventually figures out
that supporting the concept of least-privilege is a crucial feature,
some just take longer than others, and distutils isn't there yet.

--
Jamie Heilman                     http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/