[Zope] long response times?

Andrew Altepeter aaltepet at bethel.edu
Thu Oct 16 10:40:25 EDT 2003

Hey All!

I've developed an alumni directory application.  This directory is
accessed through a search interface, and pulls the data from ldap.

LDAP can't do an offset+limit to return a subset of the results, so I'm
returning all results and storing them in request.SESSION.

The results are display 10 / page, with links to move forward and back.

The responsiveness is fine if there are few results (< 8 seconds for <
100 results).  However if the set is large ( > 100), response time grows
enormously.  One search I do that returns 402 results takes about 30
seconds!

I find this strange, because performing the search and rendering the
entire page (template and all) takes < 5 seconds.  Any ideas why it is
taking so long?  It seems there is some sort of house-cleaning being
done after the page is rendered and before it is sent to the browser.

Thanks,
Andy